Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Recipe Share: Chipotle Shrimp Tacos w/ Avocado Salsa Verde

This was a new recipe for me! I honestly haven't broken out my Magic Bullet since I got it at my bridal shower and when I came across this recipe I knew that I just had to try it out.

This recipe is not mine, FYI. I found this one as I was planning our dinners for the first two weeks of April. I will cite where I found it below.

I thought it would be fun to share this recipe and journey with you!


Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde

Ingredients for Avocado Salsa:
1 small onion (I used about half of the one pictured)
1 jalapeno, quartered and seeded
1 garlic clove, smashed
4 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
1/2 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

I have steps of how I cut them to help with the portions when using the Magic Bullet. A food processor will work just as well, and you could even have bigger sized chunks.

First what I have done is set out the large cup and the chopping blade from the Magic Bullet. You can see the smaller one to the right side. Also I have set out a small bowl for each session of my salsa verde.

 1 Small Onion
 Onion is quartered.

1 Jalapeno
You will need to chop the top off and then (I like to) slice the Jalapeno down the middle for easy removal of the seeds.

Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. 
Cut into pieces.

1 Garlic Clove

Smash garlic bulb by placing knife over top and hit the knife with palm of hand. Then take one clove and smash (the same way). The outer peel will come off and you have your garlic clove to include.

4 Medium Tomatillos
(these usually aren't at your everyday grocery store, you may have to track down a produce specialty store for them)
Husk the Tomatillos which is basically peeling away the outer husk like shell. Then go ahead and quarter all your tomatillos.
I like to scoop a bit of the seeds out because I don't like a whole bunch in my salsa but this is an optional step. Feel free to keep them in :)

1/2 Hass Avocado
 Slice avocado all the way around then twist (kinda like an Oreo) to split the avocado in two. We only need half so you can use the half that doesn't contain the pit; however if you need to remove the pit you can tap your knife straight into the pit and twist. This should remove your pit almost effortlessly. You then want to scope out the avocado using a large spoon. Just follow the avocado along the edge of the peel and it will pop out.
Go ahead and cut avocado into quarters.

(Side Note: I never have good luck keeping 1/2 an avocado in the fridge for very long. I would suggest using the other half on a sandwich or in an additional recipe within a few days)

1/4 Cup Cilantro Leaves
 Pull the leaves of the sprigs of cilantro and fill about a 1/4 cup loosely. Then go ahead and chop up fairly finely. It's okay if it's not perfect. I give you permission. :)

Okay!
Now that we have all our salsa ingredients chopped up and ready to be put in the Magic Bullet...you will want to add the following first.
Onion
Jalapeno
Garlic
Place on Magic Bullet and finely chop. Then go ahead and add the tomatillos, avocado, and salt. Instead of holding the cup down on the magic bullet go ahead and pulse.
Here I have added the tomatillos and avocado on top of the other already chopped ingredients.

After you have finished pulsing the the salsa, transfer to a bowl.
Then go ahead and add your "perfectly" chopped cilantro.
(and I add some more salt because Joey always like a pinch more)
Stir it in and set aside.

Tired of this recipe yet???
Don't be! It is well worth the reading to get it done!

Now on to the shrimp!

Shrimp Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon chipotle or blended chili powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Pound Medium Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined (I use frozen shrimp, thawed)
8 Corn Tortillas
Some sprigs of Clintro for garnish
1 Lime, cut into wedges
Heat stove top to a medium-high heat. Mix the olive oil, chili powder (that is what I'm using here), and salt in a bowl.
 Stir in the shrimp and toss to coat.

Add shrimp to the heat and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes on each side
Grill or bake tortillas until pliable (soft). I use my toaster oven to bake them at about 250 degrees for a few minutes or until warm enough for your liking.

While shrimp is finishing up go ahead and cut up your lime.

Spoon avocado salsa verde on the tortilla, then top with shrimp (just use however many you would like). Add a sprig of cilantro if you would like.

Serve 2 tacos per person with lime wedge on the side.
ENJOY!

* This is a Food Network Recipe*

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I am going to try this recipe with my boyfriend. Avocados make everything taste good! achus-views.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now I'm hungry! Great recipe..

    ReplyDelete