Friday, June 14, 2013

Finding Your Voice in the Blogging World {3 Suggestions from a Small Blogger}


I have been in the blogging community a little over a year now. And while I have blogged on and off until recently establishing a schedule, I have spent numerous hours a week partaking in what most bloggers do; photographing, writing, editing, publishing, and promoting.
I am a small blogger. I have not made it big time.
I don't tell you this to deter you from reading this blog post, but if you are looking for those quick ways to increase traffic to your blog or make money with your blog posts type of read
then you are in the wrong place.

I absolutely love blogging! I find it to be an outlet/hobby that has grown to be a regular to-do in my schedule, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm approaching my 100th Blog Post next week (make sure you check for the giveaway coming up) and I have done a bunch of reflecting and re-reading of my prior blog posts and it just got me thinking. While I'm not blogger pro or a famous blogger, I have learned from my blogging experience and I think there a hundreds of other small blogs out there that might need to read this as well.

Find Your Voice: Tip One- Stay Genuine. I wish blogger had a way to triple underline because it deserves to be read! While I struggled to find my blog niche so that people would read my blog I had a mini revelation; I wasn't being genuine. Not that I wasn't being myself, but I was blogging about topics for the wrong reasons. I thought well people want to hear about this so I will blog about it, even though I want to blog about something else. Now I'm not saying that you should disregard completely what your readers want to read. However, I have read several blogs where you just know the reader isn't really passionate about what they are blogging; but they think it will make them money or gain more followers. I believe that readers/followers can sense that. I know I could. So blog about what makes you happy. Stay true to what really interests you, stay genuine. I know my blog has bounced all over the place with makeup, DIY projects, Tips/Suggestions, recipes, etc. BUT that's ME! I enjoy all those things and just want to share with you all :)

Find Your Voice: Tip Two- Pick a Schedule. I didn't do this in the beginning and I think it hurt my blog a bit. I know as a reader of other blogs, if a blogger hadn't posted for a week or two I gave up checking their blog for new content-unless they specifically say they post once a month or something like that. I personally blog twice a week and post Tuesday and Friday (used to be Thursday...I found I needed more days in between). You don't have to state specific days, but if you let your readers know that you post once, twice, three times a week they will know when they can expect new content from you.

Find Your Voice: Tip Three- Watermark your Photos. If you are a blogger and take your own photos it is helpful to watermark them. Not so much because NO ONE else in the world can use them and they are MY photos; but it is more of a promoting tool. If you watermark your photos, when some is looking for photos on a search engine, or maybe someone  pinned your photo on Pinterest, readers can now know where the photo came form and check out your blog.

I hope these tips help. I don't claim to know it all and I have a ton to learn in the blogging world, but these are just some of my observations in my own little blogger world.

Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. Hello! I am also a small time blogger too, but I absolutely LOVE what I do. I think all of your tips are amazing, and while I need to work on al of them, the one that really stuck out to me was to set a schedule. I often am horrible at blogging on a schedule and will sometimes push it off when I get busy, but I want to avoid doing that from now on! I would love for you to check out my blog and leave me feedback www.myfairdaily.com Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Also, thank you for your feedback...I am heading over your blog now :)

      Delete
  2. i second the watermarking! I found this really cool burnt spoon craft on pinterest a few months ago that had NO link! lucky for me it was watermarked and the blogger had a search box on her site and I found it!

    I also love blogging! Thanks for sharing this on the blog hangouts G+ community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I have had the same thing happen to me on Pinterest before too :)

      Delete
  3. I never considered watermarking - great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas as I am a small blog too trying to find my way around. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete