Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thrifty Organization {Cord Management on a Budget}


I often tell my clients that organizing doesn't have to cost them a fortune; and that they can use simple items around the house to organize verses going out to buy a system.

Occasionally, I like to practice what I preach, so I thought I would share a thrifty way to organize cords/extension cords on a budget. Now I really enjoy the cord management systems that the Container Store has, but they can be a bit pricey if you only have a few cords to reign in.  The Martha Stewart line always has the mini cord ties with labels on them that work well too!
But lets say for this post that we don't want to spend any money.

Here's what you need!
Toilet Paper Rolls
 (as many as you want to create)
Scissors
Label Maker 
(or marker to label with)
Contact Paper
 (or wrapping paper if you don't have contact paper)
Extra Labels

So this little trick has been done before I'm sure. I can't be the only person to do this, especially because they are so easy.

Step One: Cover your toilet paper roll with contact paper. Or, like I mentioned, use a fun designed wrapping paper. You will need tape if you use wrapping paper. You can cover the whole role or cut out strips to wrap around it. Use your CREATIVITY!

Step Two: Decide how you want to label them. I used an Avery label for some extra color then popped a normal white label with black lettering on top of it. If you don't have a label maker, then you can use your marker to write it out OR print from your computer and tape on.

Step Three: Wrap your cord and push on through. Make sure it is tight enough so it holds.

What ways do you organize with items around your home?

(P.S. Next Blog Post is number 100! Giveaway is happening on THURSDAY! Check back to enter!)

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. This is cool. Thanks for sharing.

    xo Janaki
    http://crazysketchbook.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina,

    I found your blog after you liked one of my Instagram photos (Thanks!). This is a GREAT idea! I am forever untangling cords and this is an awesome, budget friendly idea :)

    Mella (mellalynne)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mella! Thanks for stopping by! Cords can be a pain...glad this post could help you :)

      Delete