Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tea Habits {Current Tea Favorites & Tea Brewing Science}

As most of you may know, I love my tea! And while occasionally I will have myself a nice cup of coffee, it is a rarity on most days if I don't have a cup of tea.
I wanted to share with you my two currently favorite teas, along with my tea brewing device that I get many questions on.
My first favorite tea is a black tea from The Republic of Tea brand, called Mango Ceylon. I tend to gravitate toward black tea more so than White, Green or Oolong since black tea is oxidized longer it produces a stronger flavor. Most of the time I really enjoy a stronger flavor for my morning tea because it really wakes me up. Makes me want to take on the day, much like a cup of coffee would.
Just for some additional information, unlike green tea which turns bitter when brewed at a higher temperatures, black tea should be steeped in freshly brewed boiling water. I like steeping my black teas for about 3-4 minutes, unless it is a more delicate black tea.


My second favorite tea at the moment is from World Market, and it is an Organic Pomegranate White Tea. White Tea, unlike Black Tea, is oxidized very lightly and is brewed at a lower temperature just above where Green Tea is brewed. I really enjoy White Teas! They are calming and relaxing; a great tea to have in the afternoon or evening. It doesn't have as strong of a flavor, so I often add the smallest amount of honey and steep for a bit longer then normal.

So how do I brew?
I brew my tea in my Cuisinart PerfectTemp Electric Kettle which I LOVE! I think this is perfect for avid tea drinkers like myself. I do have to say that I am looking into another one that is programmable and actually steeps the tea for you; but for now, this little guy does the trick and allows me to brew the perfect cup of tea!
As you can see here, I have six different temperature options to brew my different teas with. The options include Delicate, Green, White, Oolong, FrenchPress, and Black. It also have a 'Keep Warm' feature that wills keep your water at temperature for 30 minutes.
It has an easy to open top and also sits on the power base while brewing but will remain on while you remove to pour water.
This electric kettle holds 1.7 L of water and it is actually in this area where the blue LED lights come one to show activity.
I love this! Always easy to brew and steep a cup of tea in the morning.

I finally just wanted to show you my tea/coffee cabinet where I store my tea and three coffee K-Cups at a time.
Here I have a long bamboo holder in back (you can't really see) that has your average Lipton Lemon Black Tea and then I have my favorite teas of the moment in front with my Stevia sweetener.
To the right, I have a smaller bamboo organizer with some single tea packets. Mostly by the brand Bigelow.
And finally, like I mentioned I keep three K-Cups at a time in my cabinet. I don't drink coffee all that often so I just keep three at a time here and the rest packed away to replace when needed.

I hope you enjoyed my favorite teas (which I recommend you trying) and seeing how I make my tea! Like always, I will keep you updated on new teas that I try and if I venture out to get the additional tea steeper.

Cheers!
Make sure to follow by clicking 'Join this Site' under the Followers section!
Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. Nice collection of tea Katrina!!love it,specially the white tea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita! Thanks for reading! I do love me some white tea. Always have to have that in my collection! :)

      Delete
  2. Woah! You DO love tea ;) I have to expand my horizons from Green Tea, and Yerba Mate. That kettle is serious business! Read your about page...love that your a professional organizer!

    .:Marta:.

    petiteraisin.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Marta you are 100% correct! I love my tea! Let me know when you try some new teas! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, I totally agree with Marta. You DO love tea. I have found through your writting that I do want to be a tea lover haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great collection you have! I wish that mine was this organized. I have so many samples to review for my blog that there is tea everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read the post! Gotta love tea :)

      Delete