Thursday, August 22, 2013

Recipe Share {Homemade Fried Rice}


While I was college I took Chinese (the language) for two years. I had the same wonderful Chinese teacher each year, and without fail she made us Homemade Fried Rice about once a semester. We always asked how she made it and she never really gave a flat out answer. It was made up of white rice, corn, peas, and a diced up meat that almost tasted like ham. I still am not sure what she used in particular, but over the coarse of my years out of school I have craved her fried rice. I finally decided to just try it once. It was fantastic!
Here is the recipe I just created to get as close to my Chinese teacher's as possible!
It is so simple and easy...you must try it!
There are recipes you can Google and look at, but I didn't even need to do that. I just gave it a go.

I have to say that I don't have a wok nor did I add egg like some recipes do. My teacher never used egg so I left it out, but feel free to experiment. 

Here's what you'll need!
Ingredients: White Rice (you could use brown if you wanted), a can of peas, a can of corn, and bratwurst. This is the meat I use. I used it the first time and the recipe turned out great so that is all I have tried. You could try ham or even something else if you choose. You will also need vegetable oil and butter. 
(I make no claims about this being healthy at all...haha)

Step One: Start cooking your rice!
I use my Aroma Rice Cooker and Food Steamer to cook my rice.  I cook about 3 cups of rice for this recipe, but it's not an exact science. Feel free to cut the recipe in half. I like to have plenty for seconds and leftovers.

Step Two: Cut up meat into bit sized chunks and put in skillet with vegetable oil over medium low heat. Let that cook for 3 minutes then add the corn and peas. Stir together and let cook for 10 minutes. Stir throughout.













Step Three: When your rice is finished add a tablespoon of butter to mix in. Put in large bowl and add mixture from skillet. Mix it all together and serve.
This is such a simple and yummy dish to make as a treat. The best part about it is you can change it up and add what you want; egg, soy, use brown rice instead of white. You can make it your own.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! Definitely going to try this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good - and really easy & quick to make! I'll have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete