Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Find the Right Tablet {Guest Post: Kristine Williams}

 To be honest I'm not very technical. I mean, I keep up with how to use items in the tech world, but when it comes to really figuring out which direction to go, I'm utterly useless.

My guest blogger today loves tech and has written a blog post to help people (like me) figure out their options. Here is a message from Kristine and make sure to read this post!

Guest Blogger: "Hello everyone, I'm Kristine Williams, a tech savvy mom who has a strong passion for writing, and fortunately for me, Katrina has been kind enough to let me share my writing on her great blog. So today, I'd like to share with you tips on choosing which tablet is best for you! If anyone has any questions don’t hesitate to ask; feel free to email me!"

Finding the Right Tablet for You
 
In the last year or two, tablets have really made a big splash!  They can be used for anything from streaming movies, to reading, to researching recipes, and more. They are much more convenient to travel with than a laptop and oftentimes can be just as powerful. There are a variety of different tablets on the market today and it is easy to get overwhelmed when trying to decide on the right tablet for you. Here are some points to consider when picking your perfect tablet.

Screen size and weight: Whether you are looking at a reader or a full-feature tablet, one of the first features to consider is screen size and weight. Tablet sizes generally run from seven inches to 10 inches and weigh from roughly one pound to three pounds. While these weights may not sound like a real consideration, it is important to remember that after holding a tablet for a little while, it can prove uncomfortable.

Features: Think about how you will use your new tablet. Will you use it to primarily read books? Stream movies? Just check email and look at social media sites? How you will use your new tablet will have a direct correlation to the features that are most important. For example, if you are looking to just read with your tablet, then you may want to look at either the Kindle Paperwhite or the Barnes & Noble Simple Touch Glow Light. If you want a full-featured tablet, you may want to look at either the Apple iPad or the Samsung Tab.

Operating System: Just like the Apple-PC war years ago, it is now the iOS-Android war. And just like the original operating system war, the battle lines are again clearly drawn. Those who use iPads running iOS are often already Apple users and are comfortable with the navigation and system similarities. Those who utilize Android tablets generally like the openness of the operating system not offered by Apple. The iPad is offered in a few different configurations, sizes and price points, but are all from Apple. Android tablets are offered by a wide variety of manufacturers, creating a broader market and more price competition. Add to the tablet war, the recent emergence of the Windows Surface tablet running the Windows operating system has really added an entirely different component to the mix.

Price: While we all wish price was not an object, the truth is this can be a huge factor in your decision process. Prices can vary from less than $100 for a basic reader to multiple hundreds of dollars for a full-feature tablet. By considering all the points listed above, you can begin to have an idea on the price range for a tablet to meet your needs. What is most important is to go to an electronics store where all the tablets you are considering are out and available for you to try. You could do plenty of research ahead of time, and you should, but until you hold the tablets you are considering and see how they perform, how you like the screen, how comfortable it is to hold, you will not be 100 percent sure. When I was deciding on my tablet, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted – until I went to the store and saw all of them in person. Then my number three choice became my top choice and ultimately my purchase.

No matter what tablet you decide to purchase, make sure you get coverage for your tablet that will protect your investment. As you look at all the different tablet options, you will quickly discover you can wind up spending a lot of money. And if you drop it and crack the screen shortly after its purchase, you will have a constant reminder as to how fragile this piece of electronics is. Make sure you purchase tablet coverage like one of the plans offered form ProtectCELL, so you are covered not just for small issues, but if you accidentally drop your tablet in a puddle or your kids spill their juice on it while streaming a movie. Then you can be sure you will enjoy your tablet for years to come.
 

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a tablet that I can do proper blogging work on, not just publish, and it's really difficult to find something that seems to be a good options and I've read so many reviews my heads is just spinning. This was useful and I'm beginning to think that there is no tablet that can do the job and instead I should go for a slim laptop or MacAir.... my credit card is cringing already :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete