Friday, March 14, 2014

Cooking: My Simple Distraction

Let me guess, you were drawn into this title. Trying to figure out what this lady could be talking about. Cooking. Distractions. Simple? Huh?

I think I told myself the same thing when I wrote down this title this morning. Last night all I did was toss and turn. I could not, for the life of me, shut my brain OFF! I was trying everything. I just felt attacked in pretty much every way (emotionally and spiritually). One of those moments that you just feel like "Why?" "Why Do I Do?"
Of course while I'm rolling over every two minutes to get comfortable, my husband is sound asleep and just looks exceptionally peaceful. But it's at this moment when I had the thought..."I wish I was cooking right now..."

What? I seriously thought my brain had lost it! I cook all the time. Every night. Why would I want to burden myself with something like this when I can't go to sleep. I really was generally surprised that I thought of cooking during this juncture of unsought sleep. But then I started to imagine myself in the kitchen, and thought about how I was feeling while in there.

Peace.

Literally, when I'm cooking in the kitchen I find the simple distraction I need from the other duties of the day or work that needs to be accomplished. My brain has trouble turning off. Not just at night, but all day everyday. I feel like my brain is on 50 different items at once 365 days of the year.
But in the kitchen...while I'm cooking. It all stops.

Now I know what you are thinking. Katrina...I think you have lost it; but I know I'm not alone. Housewives, stay at home moms, working women, we all experience this. Just a million little thoughts running around rampant in our minds until we find that one task that shuts them down. For me it's cooking. For you it may be a bubble bath and a good book. For Susie it may be a run in the park. And for Janet it may be something crazy like skydiving. I would argue that skydiving would make my thoughts worsen as I thought about all the things I still needed to get done before my impending death.

Nonetheless, it is cooking that does it for me. When I'm focused on a recipe or watching food transform into something different it preoccupies my mind. Gives me a temporary relaxation moment. I call it my simple distraction. It is my distraction from all the looming tasks or day to day grind.

Now as a Christian I firmly believe that my Savior gives the ultimate peace. Cooking, books, running, walks, and skydiving are only small solutions. However, God gives us these events or tasks to help us. It is blissful for me to be cooking in my kitchen because it also allows for a moment with the Lord. I like to think it is just me and My Father cooking in the kitchen. A simple distraction.

I hope everyone has a simple distraction from the everyday life this weekend.
Happy Friday!



2 comments:

  1. I totally get it! My time with God is when I'm crafting. I just found your you tube channel and wondered over to your blog. I am very excited to have found a Christian blogger. I am looking forward to watching more of your videos. Thanks for sharing your time with us. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it! My time with God is when I'm crafting. I just found your you tube channel and wondered over to your blog. I am very excited to have found a Christian blogger. I am looking forward to watching more of your videos. Thanks for sharing your time with us. Blessings

    ReplyDelete